Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tallinn, Estonia

June 11: Tallinn, Estonia:
One of the best things about this port, is that the scenic part of it "Old Town" is a short walk from the port. Above, is Hayley and I walking to it. The short, fat tower is called "Fat Margarite" and is at the entrance of the old walled section of the city.
We were one of the first ones there, so there was hardly any people. It was very beautiful and quiet.

We had a walking tour map that I had gotten off of the internet. It had a part where you walk through to the outside to see the outter shell of the old walls and towers. There were quaint little gardens everywhere.



A view from above the city. The real estate up here in the upper city called Toompea was and is the most expensive in the country.


The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. It is a Russian Orthodox Church, and had services going when we went in....I think I have some video of it. Very interesting because they sing the whole service.



More of the old wall of the city.








Some more narrow an old walkways in the lower part of the city.

The old town square: Raekoja Plats


The medieval Old Town Hall, with Old Thomas up above guarding the city. He is up on the spire, much too tiny to really see.

The gateway or entrance up to Toompea, the upper city.







No comments: