Hayley at the Upland or Golden Gate. It marks the start of the royal route, and was part of the city's fortifications from the 16-19th centuries. There is a more complete picture of it below.
Gdansk was totally destroyed during WWII, and the city debated about rebuilding it, or leaving it destroyed as a testament of the ravages of war. They decided sometime in the 1950's or 60's to restore it, and I am glad they did. It was absolutely beautiful!
The Wyzynna Gate
The Executioner's House and Prison Tower (above)
The palace and the Green Gate at the other end of Old Town....but why they call it the Green gate, I have no idea....
A look along Old Town, it was very beautiful.
The clock tower
Hayley and an old cannon.
A look of the buildings while crossing a bridge on the other side of the palace.
A street performer in the green. There were a few others out as well.I have some pictures of Neptune's Fountain, and the Artur Court, but it must be on a different camera, so I will upload it a little later.
The train station that we used to take a train from Gdynia where our boat was stationed at, to Gdansk where Old Town was, was about 25 minutes or so. I did not think it would be that far, but it was quite a ways.
The train station that we used to take a train from Gdynia where our boat was stationed at, to Gdansk where Old Town was, was about 25 minutes or so. I did not think it would be that far, but it was quite a ways. We weren't going to go to Gdansk because the ship's shuttle to the city was already sold out, and we did not want to get lost trying to find our way there and back. Thankfully, we met some others that were going to take the train from our ship, so we just tagged along with them...it's a good thing, I know I would have had a hard time and maybe would have gotten lost. Not many people spoke English there.
The train was a great way to go, and only cost us about $4 dollars roundtrip!
A KFC in an old building by the train station. There was also a McDonald's there too.


No comments:
Post a Comment