Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Jade Temple market:
These kids were really funny. They just had to have me buy something from their shop, even though they did not like the price I gave them for a carved wooden little Buddha. They kept saying how much money they were losing, and tried to even give me back the wrong change, begging me to do the higher price. It was pretty funny and they were really persistent---Especially the girl. This market was pretty pressuring too.

When we arrived at about 4:30 or so in the afternoon, we were told that the markets and the Jade Buddha temple were closed, but we were very happy to see the market area still open. Jared and I joked about how different China was to Japan. In Japan, they close even if there are still potential paying customers in their shops, and they seemed bugged about it too. Here in China, they do not close until the last customer is gone...happy to get the business. I was especially impressed with all of the Chinese architecture. Even though it was a market place/shopping area. It was so beautiful!
In this picture above, there is a little stand that sold little Chinese dragon/lion puppets. If you enlarge the picture, you can see them hanging in all colors. They were the cutest things and very detailed! But by then, we had run out of money. I am still mad that we didn't get one. But what ended up making my decision was, I could not for the life of me figure out what I would do with it at home....I could not think of where to display it or hang it, so why spend the money for something to sit in a box??



Our hotel is in the distance in the very left hand side of this picture. I would meet Jared every day for lunch at about 12 or 1:00, and I would walk around the corner from our hotel, and at about this spot, be confronted with about 20 people trying to take me to their "commissioned" shops....all in about a city block. Very irritating...it got to the point where I would just take a cheap taxi for the block and a half just to avoid the harrassers.
The first day, we were asking anyone for a supermarket type store. We finally found one, and it was just around the corner from our hotel. This Parkson's was really nice being so close!!
The photo above and below are both directions on Huaihai road, while I was walking back from the K'Wah building (the Micron site). This was a very pretty shoppy area, so that is where all the harrassers hang out waiting. I even had to shoo one away to get these pictures....:(

It is down this street that the main knock off market is too. We went there almost every day.

No comments: